DATA PROTECTION POLICY STATEMENT
Victim Support Scotland (VSS) is a charity that provides practical help and emotional support to people affected by crime. Our services are delivered by staff and volunteers in local victim services throughout Scotland and in witness services based in Sheriff and High Courts. We also have a youth justice service, based in Dundee.
In order to support people affected by crime, VSS collects and processes certain types of information about our service users. We may hold information on:
• People who contact our services for support and assistance
• The type of support provided to individuals
• Statistical information on victims and witnesses and others affected by crime
The information is held to assist us:
• Provide the best possible service to people affected by crime, including to monitor and evaluate our service; and
• To campaign for improved rights and services for people affected by crime
VSS also holds personal information on staff, volunteers, service suppliers and other professional business contacts.
The Data Protection Act 1998 establishes rights and protection for individuals in relation to what information may be held about them and how it may be used. VSS fully endorses and adheres to the eight Principles of data protection, ensuring that personal information held by us is:
1) Processed fairly and lawfully
2) Used for limited, specified purposes
3) Adequate, relevant and not excessive
5) Not kept for longer than necessary
6) Processed in accordance with individuals’ rights
7) Kept secure
8) Not transferred to countries that do not have adequate protection in place
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives individuals the right to request a copy of any information held about them, upon payment of an appropriate fee and proof of identity.
Personal information held by VSS will not be passed to any other agency without the person’s consent unless:
• There is a legal obligation to disclose the information
• There are exceptional circumstances justifying a disclosure
This policy is subject to regular review to reflect, for example, changes in legislation or to the structure of policies of VSS. A hard copy of this policy is available on request.
If you would you like to know more, please contact the Data Protection Officer at Victim Support Scotland, 15/23 Hardwell Close, Edinburgh, EH8 9RX or telephone 0131-6684486